A list of the non-expert science communication efforts I have participated in.
Science Communication Outreach:
American Society for Microbiology Blog (Microbial Sciences):
Senior Contributor, 2015 - Present. Site profile
Write original content for the blog each month.
Collaborated to define the focus and generate governance documents.
- Old wives’ tales and garlic as an antibiotic: Are microbial myths fact or fiction?. July 19, 2019.
- Altering the academic ecosystem: Graduate education reports propose critical reforms. June 22, 2019.
- Probing the depths of life. May 24, 2019
- How to train your T cell(s): The hidden world. Mar 29, 2019
- A letter to research mentors: How to support your trainee’s non-academic career development. Feb 13, 2019
- From poisoning to pharmacy: A tale of two ergots. Nov 2, 2018
- Invasive fungal infections: A creeping public health threat. Sept. 24, 2018
- If you give a baby a bath, and more microbial myths. August 2, 2018
- Confessions of a mycophobe June 19, 2018
- Examining Flint: New research highlights lack of Legionella public policy March 30, 2018
- Fight, flight or freeze: Bacterial self-preservation through toxin-antitoxin systems January 29, 2018
- A promiscuous phage and its illiterate transcriptase November 13, 2017
- Microbes for Minis October 6, 2017
- Siderophores: A treatment target? August 28, 2017
- Is calcium the key to controlling Clostridium difficile infection? July 14, 2017
- Siderophores: Bacterial Swiss Army Knives June 23, 2017
- Siderophores: Bacterial iron scavengers May 5, 2017
- How computer scientists are setting the stage to end tuberculosis March 24, 2017
- A Weaver’s tale: How stitching two viruses together may combat one March 3, 2017
- Peanuts and Probiotics (Updated) January 13, 2017
- I “flu” in for the holidays December 9, 2016
- It’s electric! The bacterial X-men superpower November 4, 2016
- Eat that worm! Exploring helminths and autoimmunity September 15, 2016
- Exploring the human virome August 11, 2016
- Bacteriophage: A drop in the carbon ocean June 24, 2016
- Bacteriophage therapies: Where are they now? May 26, 2016
Founding Editor-in-Chief, 2015 - 2016.
Recruited and organized a collaborative leadership team and faculty mentor to found the student-run blog (www.MiSciWriters.com) to practice science communication, explore writing careers, and raise awareness of science communication by researchers.
Associate Editor, Department of Microbiology & Immunology Newsletter, 2018 - Present.
Create, organize, and copy-edit original content for department newsletters.
Media Coordinator, Organization for Microbiology and Immunology Students, 2015 -2018.
Create original content for department newsletters, take and collate event photographs.
Two articles published in other venues-Microbe Magazine and the Michigan Health Lab blog.